Farewell 2016 you mixed bag of emotions. Helloooooo 2017 you bright shiny blank canvas of hope.
We can all agree that 2016 brought some horrendous news. I personally had several friends who lost loved ones – children, adult children, parents and step parents. Those kinds of events break your heart repeatedly ad infinitum and there’s no recovery, there’s just learning to live with the pain. I had friends who had some horrendous diagnosis themselves which has required strength from them they never knew they possessed. Then of course there was the horrid news of so many celebrity deaths. And a host of other ‘bad/sad’ news from other friends and acquaintenances. Other friends had struggles to overcome. We stand with those we love, our hearts break with theirs yet life has to go on and that doesn’t diminish their pain, their experiences or their ongoing journeys.
So then on the other hand, having said the above, 2016 also held some amazingly awesome moments. For starters I wrote, published and sold my first book. V V exciting! My kids all excelled and put in 110% effort at school and life. I got to travel for work which is really one of my favourite ways to do it … the free way! AND it took me to one of the great loves of my lives place, three times!
And around the world amazing things also happened.
My top 5 are:
- Getting to spend time with my kids and extended family who are all healthy. I know what a blessing this is from the friends who have lost theirs.
- In 2016, some of the world’s biggest diseases, like colon cancer, dementia, and heart disease, started declining in wealthy countries. New York Times
- Malawi achieved a 67% reduction in the number of children acquiring HIV, the biggest success story across all sub-Saharan nations. Since 2006, they’ve saved 260,000 lives. Al Jazeera
- The Brisbane duo famous for launching the world’s first free mobile laundry for the homeless launched their second charitable venture in June — a shower van. The van, built from scratch by Nic Marchesi and Lucas Patchett of Orange Sky — means homeless people will have access to a free hot shower every day.
- Forgiveness. This makes me tear up: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-30/adrian-murray-embraced-by-karl-sisson/8154526
For more you can read a list of another 94 here at Quartz
As for 2017, it holds so much hope. It’s a blank canvas all set for you to create any way you want!
Have you set your goals yet? Have you done a vision board and got the family dreaming and setting goals?
I love the quote: “A dream without a goal is just a wish!”
As you farewell 2016 may you be surrounded by people you love. May your healing begin where needed. May you begin to dream for yourself. May your celebrations place 2016 in the past. And as you welcome 2017 May your families be blessed. May your goals be set. May you know peace, love, happiness and amazingly awesome adventures throughout the coming year. It’s yours to create.
And don’t forget to kick start 2017 by entering our competition to win a 2 night family getaway here
Farewell 2016. Welcome 2017 you shiny blank canvas of hope.